Geneva Free Ports & Warehouses
Geneva, Switzerland | Unknown Architect for Buildings A, B, C | 1960s
Atelier d’Architecture 3BM3 | Mipsa-South (2009), Warehouse (2012)
As one of the oldest freeports dating back to 1854, the Geneva Free Ports & Warehouses store over 1 million artworks on its Praille site adjacent to train infrastructure (1962), and at the Freight Hall in Geneva International Airport (1988). The freeport is both government and privately run.
The Praille site hosts a hodgepodge of warehouses, each with their own facade style. Buildings A, B, and C date back to the 1960s and define the eastern edge of the site with its serrated facade. To the west, Atelier d’Architecture 3BM3 created a new administrative building clad in expanded aluminum mesh and a warehouse with extruded aluminum panels. When designing windowless buildings, does it always have to resort to facade patterns and textures?
Note: a tour of the Geneva Freeport was not permitted. The following short documentary, National Disintegrations, by Braden King provides more insight.
Visited: March 14, 2018